Young filmmakers get their chance to improve road safety

By August 11, 2020 Safety

Aspiring young filmmakers are set to have the chance to bring their ideas to the screen as part of a Victorian Government competition to cast a spotlight on road safety.

Minister for Roads and Road Safety Ben Carroll said the TAC has partnered with Village Cinemas for the third annual Split Second youth film competition, encouraging young Victorian film-makers to tackle distracted driving.

“Young people are some of Victoria’s most vulnerable road users and this competition highlights the importance of avoiding distractions while driving,” Mr Ben Carroll said.

“Mobile phone use is one of the major factors causing death and serious injuries – that’s why we want to empower young people to lead this conversation and make safe choices when they’re behind the wheel.”

According to findings from TAC’s Road Safety Monitor, younger drivers (aged 18-25 years) are significantly more likely than older drivers to be distracted while driving (82% compared to 76%).

Victorian filmmakers aged between 18 and 25 are eligible to enter the competition, which opens on 6 August 2020 and are required to submit an outline of a 45-second film idea addressing the issue of distracted driving.

A panel of judges from the TAC and film and advertising industry will select a winner, who will receive a $50,000 production budget to make their film, with the help of Dirani and award-winning production company Airbag.

The winner will also receive $5,000 in prizemoney and their film will feature during Village Cinema screenings across Victoria.

Last year’s winner Alyssa De Leo, an RMIT student, achieved an internship with creative agency Taboo following her winning entry The Afterlife Bar, depicting well-known historical figures who were taken before their time.

The competition is open until 23 September 2020 with the winner announced 16 October 2020. For more information or to enter, visit tac.vic.gov.au/splitsecond.