Hyundai’s luxury Genesis brand has officially launched GV80, its first sport-utility vehicle (SUV).
GV80 introduces a variety of firsts for the Genesis brand, including a six-cylinder diesel, electronically controlled suspension with road preview, and active noise control. The launch event and media test drive took place at the Korea International Exhibition Center (KINTEX) west of Seoul.
“GV80 represents the essence of the innovative spirit of Genesis,” said William Lee, Executive Vice President and Global Head of the Genesis Brand.
“As we launch GV80, our first luxury flagship SUV, we simultaneously open a new chapter for Genesis.”
The “V” in the GV80 marque represents versatility that only a Genesis SUV can offer. The production GV80 realises the vision of the GV80 Concept first shown at the 2017 New York auto show.
“We enjoyed the challenge to apply ‘Athletic Elegance’ design language to SUV architecture,” said Luc Donckerwolke, Executive Vice President, Chief Design Officer of Hyundai Motor Group.
“The precise proportions and attention to every detail denote that GV80 is authentic to Genesis design principles.”
Like each member of the Genesis lineup, GV80 provides an unmatched level of standard active and passive safety systems, as part of a brand-level engineering commitment to passenger security and comfort.
“When it comes to safety, GV80 is designed not only to protect its occupants from accidents, but also from accidents from happening at all.” Biermann said.
GV80 features the following advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS), including several world-first technologies:
- Smart Cruise Control with Machine Learning (SCC-ML): A world first, SCC-ML advances the science and engineering behind smart cruise control. It is an artificial intelligence-based intelligent navigation technology that helps enable GV80 to independently learn the driving characteristics of its drivers and implement autonomous driving similar to that of human drivers.
- Highway Driving Assist II (HDA II): This system helps assist the driver in a wider variety of situations than before, including lane change when the turn signal is used, and helping to merge in congested situations.
- Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA): This system is able to help automatically bring GV80 to a stop, if there is a risk of collision with an approaching vehicle on the left or right side of the intersection. GV80 is also able to detect potential collision risks, if a pedestrian is in close proximity to the vehicle while in motion.
- Blind-Spot Collision Avoidance Assist (BCA): BCA helps reduce the chance of potential impact with a moving vehicle, upon departing a parallel parking spot.
- Rear Cross-traffic Collision-Avoidance Assist (RCCA): This system uses rear side radar to help detect and prevent impact with obstacles.
- Driver Attention Alert Warning (DAW): This system monitors the driver’s attention when driving, by analysing driving patterns and behaviors, including intermittent steering and unnatural deceleration, through vehicle signals, such as steering angle and steering torque and vehicle position in traffic lane. A forward-looking camera monitors the driver and generates pop-up messages and warning tones when fatigue or forward-looking neglect is determined.