At the 2022 Australasian Fleet Conference and Exhibition Sales Director of EVSE Australia, Sam Korkees explained the important considerations for choosing, installing, and managing EV infrastructure.
Sam explained four keys of a successful transition to an EV fleet and how it’s critical to have a plan for ongoing site operations and maintenance, while also staying agile to adapt in this dynamic and rapidly evolving market.
The Right Hardware Mix
- Charging infrastructure should be based on your fleet’s operational needs, overcompensating or under compensating can lead to extra costs
- Understanding the driving patterns of your drivers is critical to determining your fleet’s operational needs
- Take a vehicle and charger agnostic approach: consider a full range of vehicle and charging solutions
Reliability and design
- Site Selection: the correct site selection will help minimize project costs and timelines, while also leading to convenience around future charging
- Site Assessment: While equipment costs may be known, installation costs can vary wildly. A site assessment will help you develop an installation plan.
- Engineering, and Design: Ask your charging service provider to provide detailed engineering design so that you have a reference for future expansion
Software to unlock enduring value
- Energy management: Load shifting to reduce demand charges and avoid unnecessary upgrades.
- Charging optimization: co-optimization of vehicle duty cycle, fleet uptime, and fuel costs
- Interoperability: open-standards like OCPP will avoid vendor lock-in
- Home integration: track your fleet vehicles charged at employee’s homes to allow for reimbursement
Future thinking integrated solutions
- Reliability and Uptime: Your fleet is business critical. Ensure it’s monitored with live notifications
- Service Level Agreement and Maintenance in Place: Negotiate costs early and if possible, try to integrate into a fixed term.
- Australian based support: You don’t have time to deal with international support centres and automated ticket systems.
The EV revolution is here. Are you ready?
Did you find this article helpful? Please give it a ‘like’ by clicking the ‘heart’ above.